When I wrote “Spearhead” I never saw this coming: Clarence Smoyer and the men of the 3rd Armored Division have skyrocketed to national fame. Thousands are discovering their story every week, but what’s better than reading about them? Experiencing their story.
You’re invited. Join me in August/Sept 2021 as I lead the inaugural "Spearhead Tour” to Europe. These are the most exciting—and under traveled—WWII sites in the world and I want to show you all of them. Grab your seat today!
BELGIUM: MONS // MARCHE // GRAND-SART // BASTOGNE
GERMANY: STOLBERG // BLATZHEIM // COLOGNE // PADERBORN
NORDHAUSEN // BERLIN
9 Night Tour Highlights
- Take part in the Liberation of Mons celebration and feel the earth shake as we get up close to a moving column of Shermans, tank destroyers,
Greyhounds & more.
- Explore the dragon's teeth where Clarence Smoyer and the 3rd AD pierced the Siegfried Line and earned a Presidential Unit Citation in a fierce fight.
- Play Indiana Jones in the Ardennes as we search out foxholes, bullet holes, and untold stories of the 3rd AD and more during the Battle of the Bulge!
- See the German tanks that made the 3rd AD our bloodiest tank unit of WWII. We'll get up-close with a Panzer IV, Stug, Hetzer, Panther, and Tiger II, some still sitting where they fought!
- Follow Clarence as he guides us through the urban battlefield of Cologne in an exclusive video, culminating at the cathedral where he waged a legendary duel with a Panther. If Clarence's health permits, he may even join us on the tour!
- Tour the halls of Wewelsburg castle, the "spiritual" home of the SS soldiers who resisted the 3rd AD in the climatic battle at Paderborn!
- Walk the site of one of WWII’s most “hushed-up” stories, the Welborn Massacre, where the 3rd Armored's General Rose was killed in a massive ambush by German armor.
- Journey into the tunnels of horror at the Nordhausen concentration camp, liberated by the 3rd AD, and see the remains of V2 rockets built there.
- Go beyond the book Spearhead as we visit the capital of the Third Reich and the haunting ruins from the Battle of Berlin.
Lodging & Dining
4 and 5 star hotel accommodations in historic Mons, Clervaux, Cologne, Paderborn, and Berlin.
Our hotels run the gamut from a charming boutique hotel in the shadow of a hilltop castle to a 5-star historic property that witnessed the battle for Cologne.
All hotels have English-speaking staff, air conditioning and wifi included, along with a daily European breakfast.
Not only will the Spearhead tour be an amazing historical journey, but also a flavorful culinary adventure!
We’ll dine on a variety of Belgian classics like Belgian waffles, mussels, "les frites," & savory gratins!
Then we’ll move onto German staples with hearty sausages and schnitzels, sauerbraten and spreads, all washed down by cold Kölsch & Riesling!
All locations we'll visit!
Unparalleled access to bestselling author Adam Makos who will accompany the tour. This inaugural tour is the only one Adam is committed too at this time.
Exclusive “for-our-eyes-only” tours led by local expert guides including researchers utilized during the creation of “Spearhead.”
Unprecedented access to exclusive interviews and visuals discovered by Adam's research team during the writing of “Spearhead."
Tour goodie bag including a tour binder with modern/historical maps, wartime photos, and city guides, this bag also includes a leather luggage tag and travel notebook.
A full-time logistical manager as well as a German translator who will travel with our group.
Roundtrip airport transfers: Pickup from Brussels Airport (BRU) and drop off at Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL) at scheduled times.
9 nights of accommodations in 4 & 5 star hotels in some of the best historical locations in Mons, Clervaux, Cologne, Paderborn, and Berlin - including the Excelsior in Cologne where the 3rd AD “liberated” the wine cellar!
Hotels all have wifi, air conditioning, English speaking staff, and complementary access to all non-alcoholic mini-bar items during your stay.
All admissions fees & gratuities are taken care of by us.
Private luxury coach with AC, bottled water, and likely unpredictable wifi (rural Europe has some black out spots).
Unlimited non-alcoholic and 1 beer/wine beverage at each scheduled lunch & dinner so you can enjoy the local specialties.
9 Breakfasts, 8 Lunches, & 3 Dinners
As a memento, you'll receive an 8 x 10 b&w photo of Clarence Smoyer and his tank crew, hand-signed by Clarence!
Designed by the Heroes of "Spearhead"
In 2013, Clarence Smoyer, Buck Marsh, Chuck Miller—and their friend from the other side, Gustav Schaefer—allowed me to accompany them as they re-visited their old battlefields.
Now, their stories will guide you on the “Spearhead Tour.” We’ll go back to these same places and I’ll share with you this priceless history.
Through my interviews, the veterans will speak to us and magic will take place: Their stories will come to life.
Reserve a Seat
SEATS MAY OPEN UP...
The 2021 "Spearhead" tour is planned for early September. We'll post exact dates when they are decided. The cost is $5,995 per person (double occupancy), $6,995 per person (single occupancy). Airfare is not included.
HOW TO JOIN THE WAIT LIST: